- "A cloze test (also cloze deletion test) is an exercise, test, or assessment consisting of a portion of text with certain words removed (cloze text), where the participant is asked to replace the missing words. Cloze tests require the ability to understand context and vocabulary in order to identify the correct words or type of words that belong in the deleted passages of a text. This exercise is commonly administered for the assessment of native and second language learning and instruction."
Here are some suggestions on how and when to do this:
- As you read a book out loud at night, leave out a word and have the child fill it in. I love to do this with Dr. Seuss books in which I leave out a rhyming word and have my kids guess it based on the pictures (make sure you choose a word that is obvious).
- Sing a familiar song in the car and leave out a word. Have your child shout the word that is missing.
- Say a nursery rhyme and leave off a rhyming word. Have your child say the missing word.
- Take a familiar picture book and cover up a word with a post-it note. Have your child say the missing word and check his answer by removing the post-it.